December 14, 2011

1st place: Holiday bake-off

Bring on the baking competitions...

Our apartment hosted a brunch last weekend for all of the residents and also held a baking competition with the winners  getting money off of rent.  Not a bad deal and I always say yes to any chance to bake! I admit, I was a little nervous because this was the moment of truth that I would find out if my baked treats are REALLY good or if people are just being nice.

 Of course I couldn't decide what was the best thing to make, so I ended up baking two things.

My entries...


Whipped Pumpkin Bites 


 and

Chocolate Toffee Squares



I will say I did have some tough competition. 

But the winner was....


The chocolate toffee bites, which I have never made before this event. I even forgot a key ingredient -- but shhh nobody would ever know and hey, they won FIRST place and won me money! 



The pumpkin bites were pretty popular as well and came in 3rd place.  Well, I'm relieved to know that my treats are actually edible. :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Nicole! I am an avid reader of your blog- props on it's awesomeness :-)
    My coworker thinks she has strep throat. I was hoping you could ask B what he thought. These are her symptoms:
    -Congested ears (not nose)
    -Sore throat with mild coughing
    -Bumps on the back of her throat (we have a detailed iphone pic if you want us to send it)
    -Swollen lymph nodes
    Any help B can offer is appreciated! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear your coworker is sick! I have had strep throat more than a dozen times in my life and it is a terrible thing to have.

    When I have had strep in the past, I definitely had swollen lymph nodes but the main thing was that it was extremely difficult to swallow, it felt like knives were in my throat. I have ridden it out with no medication and also gone to the doctor and taken antibiotics which definitely gets it over with faster. To me, it sounds like it could be strep but I'm not positive.

    I did run it by B and unfortunately he can't give personal medical advice or diagnosis online. He said that according to her symptoms, this could be a number of things including the possibility of strep but she should see her doctor where she can get a strep test and then a prescription.

    Sleep and hot tea or hot water with lemon and honey helps a lot. I hope she feels better!

    - Nicole

    ReplyDelete